School Houses

When girls join Inglefield House, they are assigned to one of four houses: Bagnall Oakeley, Imbert Terry, Mather Jackson, or Prosser.  House allocation is usually random, however, any past family connections will be maintained, so sisters, mothers, and daughters will all be in the same House.

They stay with the House throughout their time at the School and this gives a marvellous chance for girls to mix across all the age ranges and to have a sense of belonging and continuity during their school years.  Weekly house assemblies and house activities foster and support the pastoral aspect of the Houses.

Girls represent their houses at the annual Eisteddfod and compete in house competitions in netball, lacrosse, rounders, swimming and tennis.

The house structure also helps to ensure that day girls and boarders are fully integrated.

The first ‘Divisions’ were introduced to the School in 1913.  These were known as Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, and Wagner, and were compiled automatically from the registers so that each Division contained both day-girls and boarders.  Later, these Divisions, now called Houses, were re-grouped on a geographical basis, and re-named after Governors who had given devoted service to the School, Bagnall-Oakeley, Imbert Terry, Mather Jackson, Prosser – and each House under its own House Mistresses began to develop its individuality.